Resources & Policies


The USC Immigrant Legal Assistance Center (ILAC) provides free, confidential consultations, legal assistance, and referrals to the following members of the USC Trojan Family, students, staff members, contract employees, faculty and family members, who may be at risk of deportation, who may be eligible to apply for immigration status, or who have questions about their legal status and legal rights under the immigration laws:

  • Individuals seeking to renew DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)
  • Individuals with TPS (or expired TPS) (Temporary Protected Status)
  • Undocumented individuals
  • Individuals who have been arrested by immigration authorities or who believe they are in danger of being arrested by immigration authorities
  • Individuals without permanent legal status who have a citizen or permanent resident spouse or other family member
  • Individuals without permanent legal status who have been a victim of a crime
  • Individuals with or without legal status who are considering domestic or international travel
  • Individuals seeking to naturalize and become US citizens
  • Other immigration issues or questions.

The Office of International Services (OIS) is a resource center for international students and scholars, and provides guidance and information on the following:

  • F-1 Student Visas: visa application process, requirements for maintaining international student status, and travel and reentry requirements.
  • J-1 Scholar Visas: information for scholars and sponsoring departments on the process of bringing a J-1 exchange visitor to USC.
  • F-1 and J-1 Employment: information for F-1 and J-1 students to obtain the appropriate work authorization, including Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training.

Faculty/Staff Visa Services (FSVS) provides the specialized services required to facilitate the hiring of international faculty and staff, and a centralized resource for information regarding immigration and the hiring process.


All international study abroad, exchange, internship and short-term overseas programs (i.e. Maymester/summer/spring break programs) at USC, whether for credit or not, must be approved prior to advertisement and/or program launch. All departments offering off-campus programs must adhere to the following required procedures:

  • The Off-Campus Studies Panel (OSP), a subcommittee of the University Committee on Curriculum (UCOC), reviews all for-credit, off-campus and international programs.
  • The USC Division of Student Affairs coordinates the care of student participants on international programs and manages reporting requirements for the department offering the program.


All USC faculty and staff should be familiar with these guidelines before participating in any international activities or travel.

In developing these policies, the University has carefully considered how best to protect academic values, offer flexibility in developing relationships across the world, and meet important legal requirements, with the overarching goal of maximizing the University’s impact across the globe.